6.08.2013

Whew, S'been a while. Again.

Well, things have been hectic, but finally I have a bit of breathing room to finally post some things on here again. For now, I'm posting something I just finished about an hour ago. It's prolly not a good idea to post it so fast since I'll just wake up tomorrow and pretty much go all "Oh, wow, why did I do that?" Ah, well.


This was another experiment. I tried to do a color scheme of orange and green. I think I managed on that end and since I had a set amount of colors to use in the beginning, coloring wasn't as painful as it usually is and I didn't violently upturn a bucket of rainbows on the canvas. Haha. I really ought to find a way to color that doesn't make me wanna cry in frustration at the end....

I had an interesting time figuring out the light source since supposedly there's a shadow on the wall-thing and, thus, across the woman's face. I never really attempted that odd light source and I'd like to think that I at least kept it consistent. I also wanted to draw cactus and 1890 fashion. I think I did well on the latter, but the cactus (well, succulents, really) ended up just looking like flowers. That was sort of frustrating, but I suppose that's what happens when one doesn't look at the reference that frequently.



I also prolly ought to learn how to shade in skin. I find that of all the coloring done, that's probably the weakest. So I'll be practicing some portraits here and there.

I should also probably mention that this is a submission piece for RAW: Natural Born Artist, Denik contest and I had to illustrate what my experience with RAW was. I'll just...copy and paste my words here:

RAW is where many artists and performers often find their inspiration from the traditional and past, older works. Yet they each have a uniqueness that can border on odd, but ultimately creatively beautiful. They all also have a tenacity to achieve and keep doing what they love and enjoy. All these characteristics are represented in my illustration where the woman in a traditional dress is contrasted with a sort of punk, modern design on the lace as well as adorning succulents in her hair instead of flowers to represent, in plant language, to endure no matter the circumstances. This is what I think RAW: Natural Born Artists is as a foundation as well as the artists that represent RAW.

So that's pretty much it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment