9.15.2014

So much fanart...

I haven't posted much lately, so I thought it was time to do a tumblr dump once again. Haha, I've been drawing a lot of fanart lately of Fire Emblem: Awakening again (as well as other things) and I have utterly no regrets indulging in that. It does get in the way of some of my more serious work, but doing whimsical stuff never really hurts to do once in a while. I'll show the original work first, though.


These are the characters in their tentative color schemes and designs for a story I'm writing for fun. Not much to say beyond that really, but it was really nice to just go nuts with drawing clothes without thinking too much forethought. I had fun with making the clothes distinctive from each character.

Below the cut is all the fanart work and a lot of text so click the link if you want to just scroll on through.



 So for the above image, I was playing around with some clothes designing on what the feMU's royal dress would look like if she married Chrom (and basically became queen) and the Exalt children as well. I wanted to reflect feMU's dress with her tactician robe, thus the purple colors and the Grandmaster-esque touches with the shoulder pads. I also really liked the simplicity that Emmeryn had with her sage robes despite being queen herself, so I adapted that underdress' basic design with the royal dress with more fluffiness to give a sense of formalness.

I did the same with Lucina's dress to make it look more princess-like, but still have the same touches she had with her typical time-travelling wardrobe. Morgan, with probably less emphasis in being in the spotlight than his older sister, would have simpler clothes. I got his design from Frederick's clothes implied under his armor and thought that was fitting if Fred deigned to wear it in the first place.

I played around feMU being a kid, too, and what her clothes would be before she got nabbed from her origins. I figured humorously her dad would probably force the poor kid to dress in a matter befitting Grima, or, you know, just like him.

Still, I thought that Lucina and Morgan looked way too formal and proper to really fit their images that I drew. So, to make myself feel better I did this little thing:


Unsurprisingly, I had a lot more fun with the top image and making the kids act like, well, kids. 



This was another fun drawing exercise I did for FE:A. This time I wondered how Validar (the antagonist king) and Emmeryn (a protagonist queen) would look like if they switched roles in some alternate universe. Design-wise was not very creative I have to admit since I mostly just switched their clothes and did some tweaks here and there. What was the most challenging was making Validar look like a sort of noble man and not the emaciated, sleazy looking dude he looks originally. 

I knew I wanted Validar to look more human for a start (haha), but I also wondered what his role would change into if he was the Exalt. I figured he might be a lot more militarized and severe in persona with his campaign to go against Grimleal!Emmeryn (who would have a lot more supporters this time around because she's sneakily nice that way), but would be the type to be still inherently fair and kind even if he's prickly about it. He would also be not as vain with all that gold he had on as a Grimleal as well as tired for all his efforts. Sooo, I drew Exalt!Validar with a straighter back, large-looking shoulders because of the bulk of the Sage clothes, and stayed with his rather sharp features to make him look intimidating. Yet there's the smaller features like the lines around his eyes (laugh-lines, too) and the grey in his hair that I hoped made him look more human/softer than his Grimleal counterpart. 

In the end I have really weird feelings about making Validar an accidental Hot Dad.

Grimleal!Emmeryn was a lot simpler. I knew I wanted to make Validar's clothes look a lot more feminine for Emmeryn so I cut down on the awkward dress-thing Validar had to give Emm a more sinuous, curvy look. I also added sheer fabrics to her legs and arms and, let's not forget, that huge boob window. I debated on whether or not to keep that since I despise boob windows, but then I decided grudgingly that it could attribute to her sexy viscousness as a Grimleal character and it'd be an interesting interpretation from Validar's clothes. I also changed her staff design so the thing would look like something Grimleal!Emm could actually use to lethally beat people with (because she would be insane like that and actually enjoy doing that bloody dirty work).

tl;dr: It was a fun exercise to explore character differences depending on changed roles.



And this thing is just excitement for the new Persona 5. I initially put a chain on the dude, but I changed my mind at the last minute that it would look cooler as a shadow (SYMBOLISM). I don't know how I feel about that P5 logo being there, but it was either that or negative space.

That's it! If you stuck around this far, you're amazing and you deserve all the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment